Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Lil' Red - WIP

My ex husband's niece is having a baby.  She isn't sure what the gender of the baby is yet, but every time I think of her and the pregnancy I see a little girl. I started this quilt with that instinct in mind.  Inspired by this quilt by Malka Dubrawsky.  Looking back and comparing the two, it seems hers has more layers but I'm still enjoying my version.





I'm working on the quilting, with my Huskavarna Viking (Quilt Designer II), attempting the Roses pattern (some spirals, some olives and chained circles) from my LAQ lesson.  Let me tell you, FMQ-ing on my home machine is much more challenging than using a longarm.  It seems to require much more control over my fine motor skills.  Who knows?  After all this FMQ practice maybe my video gaming will improve.  Wouldn't my boyfriend be pleased ... ;)

So far tonight I've broken 6 new needles on the machine.  It's been frustrating, but I think I'm working out the kinks.  HOWever, 5 replacement needles was all I had so the remainder of the quilting will have to be done after our holiday camping trip.  I was hoping to have it done and one side of the binding sewn on so I could hand stitch the rest while relaxing by the campfire but that was not to be.  See you next week Lil' Red.  I know you'll be waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment